The Home Selling Process
Step 1: Prepare Your Home For Sale
Every seller wants their home to sell fast and for top dollar. Careful planning and knowing how to spruce up your home will help you do exactly that.
De-Personalize Your Home
Pack up your personal photographs and anything that screams “We live here.” You want buyers to imagine themselves living in your home, and they can’t do that if dozens of photos and memorabilia of your family are everywhere. You don’t want the buyer thinking, “I wonder what kind of people live here? You want buyers to say, “I can see myself living here.
Make Minor Repairs
Go room to room in your house and look for minor things that may stand out to a potential buyer such as:
- Patch holes in walls.
- Fix leaky faucets and sinks.
- Consider painting the walls neutral colors. This brightens the house and makes it feel bigger.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs.
Make the House Look and Smell Clean
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Polish chrome faucets and mirrors.
- Clean all your major appliances (Stove, Refrigerator etc.)
- Vacuum carpets and wash floors.
- Scrub those toilets and showers.
- Dust all your furniture, ceiling fan blades and light fixtures.
- Use scented candles for a pleasant aroma – no one wants to smell your dog or cat!
Maximize Your Curb Appeal
Do you know how many times I have pulled up to a house with a buyer and they turn to me and say “Do we have to go in?” Sure the inside of your house may look like a palace, but they will never see it if the outside of your house chases them away!
- Keep the walkway or sidewalk cleared.
- Maintain and mow your lawn.
- Plant flowers and use colored cedar mulch or stones to enhance your flower beds.
- Trim your bushes and if they are blocking the house take them down.
- Remove any clutter, garden hoses, toys, bicycles etc.
- Make them want to come in and see more!
Step 2: Select a Listing Agent
A listing agent has a Fiduciary responsibility to you as their client. The listing agent you choose should meet the following criteria:
- Live in or near the area of your home.
- Be able to effectively negotiate on your behalf.
- Should be easy to access and return you calls in a timely manner.
- Can coordinate the sales process with the attorneys, buyers agent, appraisers, local municipalities etc.
At Dutchess County Agent, we know and only sell homes in Dutchess County. We are here to assist you through every step of selling your home. Our real estate agents are available 7 days a week in order to provide you with the best service possible.
Let me help you sell your home. “I help people buy and sell real estate” You get my experience and knowledge of Dutchess County and you get incredible and unmatched customer service.
I kook forward to hearing from you!